Primary tabs

Comments by User

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 09:16

@Spring:  Pretty sure opening a browser to a URL is a as simple as 'launching' the url as a new process.  Here's how to do it in C#:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4580263/how-to-open-in-default-brows...

I have peronsally used this technique before in the demo for Instant Dungeon!
I put a 'Learn More!' button in the game that just uses this technique to open a browser to the official game web page.

Sure the procedure is pretty similar in other languages. 
 
Anyway, chasersgaming has said this is just a 'nice to have' feature, not a requirement.
 
> "everyone has either reached some difficulties or is playing too small"

Think Saliv was just saying that we've all had struggles making these games, and if not it's because we were aiming too low.
 
@Saliv:   Giving proper credit is not as difficult as it might seem at first.   In fact, OGA's 'collection' feature makes it quite easy. 
Here's what I did for my entry into last year's jam:
 
1) Created a new collection called 'Instant Pixel Palette Scramble! Assets'
2) Added each of the assets I used to the collection (open asset's page on OGA, click 'Add to Collection' button on left hand side)
3) Viewed collection in OGA (Collect->My Collections from menu at top of any OGA page)
4) Downloaded credits file for collection. (click 'Download Credits File' link at bottom of collection page)
5) Pasted contents of credits file into README.txt file included with the game.
 
In my case, I also included the contents of the credits file in the 'Credits' sequence of the game.
I also did some trivial reformatting of the credits text to sort it by category and make it look a little nicer in the credits sequence.
 
Both those steps are optional though.  In general, it is enough to simply include the credits file with the game
distribution.
 
Funny about that CC-BY-3.0 text though.  Rules 7 & 8 would seem to be in direct conflict.  'Special Thanks' is generally considered a lesser credit to 'graphics' or 'music' etc.
 
 

Monday, July 9, 2018 - 09:49

and yeah, there it is:

https://www.kongregate.com/games/ApprenticeChief/pong-quest

Unfortunately, I don't have the latest flash so I can't try it. 

Well battling in breakout is still a good idea, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Monday, July 9, 2018 - 09:48

Yulpers is coming along well.   Getting the centipede/rope physics for the body was quite a bit harder than I expected, but I'm very happy with the results so that's what counts!   Would post a screen shot but it's really got to be seen in motion to make any sense.

@Spring: an RPG where the battles are done in Arkanoid is a great idea!  Better, yet since they are battles, make it pong.   Pong-Quest!   I'm going to google that, can't be we are the first ones to come up with that mash up.  :)

Thursday, July 5, 2018 - 19:26

@Spring: /all/ the LPC tiles?   Are you sure?  That's a lot of tiles!  :)

Monday, July 2, 2018 - 08:56

@aaronw:  Just to be clear, it's not required that /all/ the assets you use for your game be from OGA.

The requirement is to use at least 6 different assets (of any type, sound, font, 3d model, etc) from OGA.

Other than that, you're free to use whatever you want.   If you create anything new for the game, you are encouraged but not at all required to contribute it to OGA.

I love the name 'AAAAH LAMAs'!  :)

@Spring: quick thought, if each level if you rescuing another of Doggo's family and friends, why not put a sprite for the family/friend in the level?  Like they are behind or boxed in by the blocks, so you are very literally setting them free.    Just a thought, might help tie the gameplay to the story.

Sunday, July 1, 2018 - 18:36

@Spring:  yeah definitely had been playing that one around the time I came up with the pitch for Medusa Must Die!

but alas, Medusa Must Die! will have to wait (see the Game Jam for the reasons why).

Instead, I'll be working on:

Yulpers!

You play as a little centipede creature who yulps up everything in it's path.

The more you eat, the longer you get!

Going to be kind of platformer meets snake type affair.

Plan to mostly use GrafixKid's various cuties and tiles.  The Yulpers you see in the logo is a modified version of the pink guy from here:

https://opengameart.org/content/mini-character-pack

As always, will submit all the custom art for the game back to OGA once it's done.

Anyways, I had a few other ideas, but my kids voted for this one, so here we go!

Sunday, July 1, 2018 - 17:34

@DezrasDragons: That's a good one!   But let's just keep any left hand prejudice out of it ;)

Sunday, July 1, 2018 - 11:20

@Spring:  I would say if the assets are such that it makes sense to split them up into separate submissions, then go ahead and do it that way.  But don't split them up soley for the goal of padding out your 'assets used' numbers ;)

Sunday, July 1, 2018 - 08:49

@Spring:  I love it!   'Bedtime Breakout!'

I knew you'd find some inspiration on OGA.  :)

 

@chasersgaming:  I think the new rule about pre-written code sounds good.   Honestly, unless you want to start getting hyper persrciptive about what tools people can use, I think this is the only approach that makes sense.   I suppose this is going to sound cranky-old-man, but really, the idea that anything done with Unity or GameMaker was 'made from scratch' is preposterous. 

Actually, what I was planning for the procedural world generation code would have fallen right within this rule.  I have some code that would be useful for the game, but I wasn't going to start putting all the pieces together until the Jam started. The code wasn't written specifically for the game, so it's not like I was trying start coding for the game beforehand. 

The prototype by constrast is more problematic as that literally was coding the game before the competition even if it didn't amount to much more than some basic platformering code.

@VinnNo.0: 9 jams!  you've been busy!   As far as code orginization goes, I definitely know the feeling when it comes to looking back at old projects.   Fortunately, over the years I've learned to write pretty atomized code, although that's actually what's causing the issue here.  I have a bunch of well generic code that would be great to reuse for the game.  If it was more customized or tweaked out for my existing projects then it wouldn't be worth the trouble of re-using.

@all:  Don't worry, Medusa Must Die! will live someday, just not for this Jam.  At the end of the day, I think this is one of those things where just asking the question revealed the answer. 'So I got this game idea I've been developing for years, it'll use a bunch of code I already wrote, plus I made a prototype already, that'll be cool for this 4 week game jam, right?'   Yeah, maybe not.

But it's no problem, I already have a bunch of other ideas for the Jam.  Still narrowing the list down this morning, I'll post to the Hype thread when I decide on one.

 

Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 17:36

@chasersgaming:  Oh not disgruntled, sorry if I came off that way.   I'd say I'm opinionated on the subject but not upset about it.   A little bummed to be putting my Medusa Must Die! concept back on the shelf but I've actually already come up with several other ideas to go with instead.   Going to sleep on it and pick one in the morning.   And yes, the link did help me, sorry it didn't work for you Spring.  :(

Pages