There must be something to the DK style rope swing because intuitively it looks for 'realistic' than the straight line rope swing. I think it has something to do with the stiffness of the rope relative to the weight put on it. But I struggle to think of a real life example where I'd expect a rope to swing with such a pronounced bend.
As a quick note, if you don't care about proper weight and physics and all that, the curved DK style swing is a pretty simple extension of the straight rope swing. Just divide the rope into multiple segments attached end to end then rotate the lower segments more than the higher segments. This can be done either by adding the rotations as you go down the segments, or even by calculating the rotations seperately and just making sure to rotate lower segments more than higher (near fulcrum) ones.
Saturday, June 9, 2018 - 08:25
oh no! A friend just pointed out that technically I submitted my entry a day early!
So sorry, I didn't meant to cheat. I didn't even check the start time of the challenge, I just assumed that it was live once the link went up!
No worries, I have another 'Missing Link' project started so if Muckety Mudskipper can't compete, I'll try again with that one.
Friday, June 8, 2018 - 11:42
> I'm just sorting Me kids out there dinner
haha, definitley been there before, I feel your pain! ;)
I know it's not quite on point with a resource that's gone 404 or an asset that needs something done to complete it, but, well as I say in the desicription, if mudskipper doesn't scream 'missing link', I don't know what does! :)
gotcha, I guess it just made me think Halloween because there are so many creepy, scary urban legends.
Definitely see the point about a palette theme not applying well outside of pixel art. Still think it would make a fun challenge, but understand if folks don't want to use a theme that's so form specific.
Wednesday, June 6, 2018 - 11:30
oops, I somehow missed the fact that those were links, sorry about that!
@MedicineStorm: I think a link right to the itch.io page makes the most sense. That's the main page for the Jam. If there's a discussion thread (like there was last year), then we should just link back t
@chasersgaming: At the risk of making the wall of instructional text even taller on the Game Jam page, it might be nice to add a link to some of the recent art challenges, or maybe a link to a list of them (does OGA have such a list somewhere on it?). Just thinking of people that are new to OGA, or otherwise unfamiliar with how to browse all the challenge entries.
Wednesday, June 6, 2018 - 10:37
of the ones I didn't recommend, I like 'Hobbies' the best, but I have a feeling that might lead to some very eclectic contributions, so if you're looking for something that might help feed into the Game Jam, my vote goes for Missing Link.
That said, Urban Legends is a great theme for fall (Halloween) and again I love Hobbies, so definitely bank for those for later use. :)
Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - 16:45
I maybe turning into 'Mr. Palette' but if you're looking for a theme that would steer the results towards assets that could be used together for the Game Jam, you could go with a palette as a theme. Like DB32 or NES.
Maybe 'Popular Palettes' could be the theme and the requirement would be that the work use one of a short list of popular palettes on OGA. DB16, DB32, NES, SMS all spring to mind. Am I missing one?
Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - 16:39
is the sidebar thing too small to put two lines:
Running Now: XYZ Art Challenge (link)
Coming June 1: OGA Summer 2018 Game Jam (link)
?
Just having the links would be huge even if there isn't room for much text around them.
I guess wether the game jam counts as an Art Challenge or not depends on wether you consider games art or not, so it's good with me, just don't ask Roger Ebert's ghost ;)
Interesting discussion....
There must be something to the DK style rope swing because intuitively it looks for 'realistic' than the straight line rope swing. I think it has something to do with the stiffness of the rope relative to the weight put on it. But I struggle to think of a real life example where I'd expect a rope to swing with such a pronounced bend.
As a quick note, if you don't care about proper weight and physics and all that, the curved DK style swing is a pretty simple extension of the straight rope swing. Just divide the rope into multiple segments attached end to end then rotate the lower segments more than the higher segments. This can be done either by adding the rotations as you go down the segments, or even by calculating the rotations seperately and just making sure to rotate lower segments more than higher (near fulcrum) ones.
oh no! A friend just pointed out that technically I submitted my entry a day early!
So sorry, I didn't meant to cheat. I didn't even check the start time of the challenge, I just assumed that it was live once the link went up!
No worries, I have another 'Missing Link' project started so if Muckety Mudskipper can't compete, I'll try again with that one.
> I'm just sorting Me kids out there dinner
haha, definitley been there before, I feel your pain! ;)
Alright, my submission is in!
https://opengameart.org/content/muckety-mudskipper-sprites-and-tiles
I know it's not quite on point with a resource that's gone 404 or an asset that needs something done to complete it, but, well as I say in the desicription, if mudskipper doesn't scream 'missing link', I don't know what does! :)
gotcha, I guess it just made me think Halloween because there are so many creepy, scary urban legends.
Definitely see the point about a palette theme not applying well outside of pixel art. Still think it would make a fun challenge, but understand if folks don't want to use a theme that's so form specific.
oops, I somehow missed the fact that those were links, sorry about that!
@MedicineStorm: I think a link right to the itch.io page makes the most sense. That's the main page for the Jam. If there's a discussion thread (like there was last year), then we should just link back t
@chasersgaming: At the risk of making the wall of instructional text even taller on the Game Jam page, it might be nice to add a link to some of the recent art challenges, or maybe a link to a list of them (does OGA have such a list somewhere on it?). Just thinking of people that are new to OGA, or otherwise unfamiliar with how to browse all the challenge entries.
of the ones I didn't recommend, I like 'Hobbies' the best, but I have a feeling that might lead to some very eclectic contributions, so if you're looking for something that might help feed into the Game Jam, my vote goes for Missing Link.
That said, Urban Legends is a great theme for fall (Halloween) and again I love Hobbies, so definitely bank for those for later use. :)
I maybe turning into 'Mr. Palette' but if you're looking for a theme that would steer the results towards assets that could be used together for the Game Jam, you could go with a palette as a theme. Like DB32 or NES.
Maybe 'Popular Palettes' could be the theme and the requirement would be that the work use one of a short list of popular palettes on OGA. DB16, DB32, NES, SMS all spring to mind. Am I missing one?
is the sidebar thing too small to put two lines:
Running Now: XYZ Art Challenge (link)
Coming June 1: OGA Summer 2018 Game Jam (link)
?
Just having the links would be huge even if there isn't room for much text around them.
I guess wether the game jam counts as an Art Challenge or not depends on wether you consider games art or not, so it's good with me, just don't ask Roger Ebert's ghost ;)
Pages