These suggestions are ideal for a code repository. However, Bart and other admins have always felt OGA should not be a code repository (for example this discussion). Obviously, posting useful game-art related scripts as documents is fine, but OGA is not designed to host code and that is intentional.
These feature suggestions are not invalid; They may still be implemented, but they will likely get a lower priority.
I hope your project is a success. I agree a demo is super important. It shows you aren't just screwing around looking for easy money. When people see a playable demo (even if it has not-so-hot graphics or incomplete features) they are reassured their investment isn't so risky.
In a similar manner, artists might feel this is a bit of a risky investment of their time because they don't see a playable demo yet. I know, I know: classic chicken vs egg; artwork is needed to make the demo, demo is needed to recruit artists.
But why not use the already-existing-and-free shmup graphics here on OGA as stand-in artwork so you can get something demonstrably playable? Not only are they free, they're available right now. That could save you some time (of which you have shockingly little before the kickstarter closes) not having to wait for artists to provide special-request graphics.
Yes... along with a comment detailing the potential licensing issues like a screenshot of where the art was ripped from or evidence of a different license.
"Script" is a pretty broad term, usually referring to any prepared set of instructions for a computer to perform. You mentioned Maya, so I assume you're specifically looking for Maya scripts? It may be a good idea to specify that explicitly in the title. "Maya Script Idea for..."
Unfortunately I am not familiar with that particular form of scripting, but I'm sure there are others who will be able to help you out. :)
assuming you're talking about ./Graphics/Battlers/071-Bird01.png, I'd say it looks like it's more inspiration that derivation; the proportions are similar but not qutie the same. The poses are a bit close, too, but not what I would call a match.
You should not use any part of that animation. Study it, learn from it, be inspired by it, but don't use it. Make your own animation from scratch or find something comparable here on OGA (all assets here allow derivatives).
Every scenario you describe would make your creation a derivative of the original. Taking any part of another asset and changing it or using it as a base or guide is considered deriving art.
That isn't necessarily bad. Some assets are licensed to allow people to make derivatives as long as you give credit to the original artist. So the question is "what is that asset licensed under?"
If it's from a commercial game, in all likelihood derivatives are NOT allowed. Where is that animation from? Who owns the copyright?
These suggestions are ideal for a code repository. However, Bart and other admins have always felt OGA should not be a code repository (for example this discussion). Obviously, posting useful game-art related scripts as documents is fine, but OGA is not designed to host code and that is intentional.
These feature suggestions are not invalid; They may still be implemented, but they will likely get a lower priority.
Only with whitespace. Still working on the non-whitespace names.
done! :)
I love the old might and magic games. Looking forward to playing The Darkness Below. :)
I hope your project is a success. I agree a demo is super important. It shows you aren't just screwing around looking for easy money. When people see a playable demo (even if it has not-so-hot graphics or incomplete features) they are reassured their investment isn't so risky.
In a similar manner, artists might feel this is a bit of a risky investment of their time because they don't see a playable demo yet. I know, I know: classic chicken vs egg; artwork is needed to make the demo, demo is needed to recruit artists.
But why not use the already-existing-and-free shmup graphics here on OGA as stand-in artwork so you can get something demonstrably playable? Not only are they free, they're available right now. That could save you some time (of which you have shockingly little before the kickstarter closes) not having to wait for artists to provide special-request graphics.
Yes... along with a comment detailing the potential licensing issues like a screenshot of where the art was ripped from or evidence of a different license.
Welcome! :)
"Script" is a pretty broad term, usually referring to any prepared set of instructions for a computer to perform. You mentioned Maya, so I assume you're specifically looking for Maya scripts? It may be a good idea to specify that explicitly in the title. "Maya Script Idea for..."
Unfortunately I am not familiar with that particular form of scripting, but I'm sure there are others who will be able to help you out. :)
assuming you're talking about ./Graphics/Battlers/071-Bird01.png, I'd say it looks like it's more inspiration that derivation; the proportions are similar but not qutie the same. The poses are a bit close, too, but not what I would call a match.
Good eye, Kir. Thanks for pointing that out.
You should not use any part of that animation. Study it, learn from it, be inspired by it, but don't use it. Make your own animation from scratch or find something comparable here on OGA (all assets here allow derivatives).
Every scenario you describe would make your creation a derivative of the original. Taking any part of another asset and changing it or using it as a base or guide is considered deriving art.
That isn't necessarily bad. Some assets are licensed to allow people to make derivatives as long as you give credit to the original artist. So the question is "what is that asset licensed under?"
If it's from a commercial game, in all likelihood derivatives are NOT allowed. Where is that animation from? Who owns the copyright?
Pages